Archive for September, 2016

The past week I started looking at Zulip, an open source group communication tool. It has web and mobile clients, and a Python back end. I ran into a few speedbumps getting my development environment set up, so this is my collection of notes on that process. If you aren’t interested in Linux or Python, you might want to skip this post as it’s full of sysadmin stuff.

The Zulip development setup instructions are good, but assume you are running it on your local machine. There are instructions for several different Unix platforms, the simplest option is Ubuntu 14.04 or 16.04. (The production instructions assume you want a real production box, and Zulip requires proper certs to support SSL. Dev is plain old HTTP.)

The standard dev setup walks you through installing a virtual environment with Vagrant. But I’m using my Ubuntu test box, an Intel Next Unit of Computing (NUC). Many folks use these for small projects like home media controllers because they are inexpensive, low power, and self-contained. But hefty they are not. I have 2 GB of RAM and a 256 GB SSD, so I decided to go with the direct Zulip install without Vagrant. It isn’t complicated, but there isn’t a nice uninstall process if you want to remove it later. (I’m not worried about that for a test machine.)

I installed in my home directory, as my own user, and started with the suggested with no options. The standard configuration listens only on localhost, which was problem number one. I could wget so I knew something was working, but I didn’t have a web browser and I couldn’t access it with one from another machine.

I looked through the docs, which are pretty good on developer topics but have some thin spots, but didn’t find anything that looked like command-line reference. There was one mention of --interface='' buried in the Vagrant instructions, but with a null argument it wasn’t obvious its purpose. I asked in the Zulip dev forum (which is actually a channel, or “stream” at a public Zulip instance) and learned that is where I should specify my machine’s address.

So my start command looks like this:

$ ./tools/ --interface=

This is where I get to speedbump number two. (I’ll skip over some random poking around here.)

The instructions say the server starts up on port 9991. Ok, great. The last part of the log on startup ends with this:

Starting development server at
Quit the server with CONTROL-C.

This, to me, says that it’s running on port 9992. Having seen previous cases of services failing to promptly release their ports, and then working around that by incrementing the number and trying again, I didn’t think much of it. I had stopped and started the process a bunch of times. This is a development install of an open source project under active development. Ok, whatever, I’ll investigate that later. 9992 it is.

Except it wasn’t. The web UI was indeed listening on 9991 as advertised, but I didn’t realize it. The closest thing I saw in the logs suggesting this is the line

webpack result is served from

but since I’m brand new to this project and have no idea what webpack is, that didn’t mean much. It took a couple stupid questions to work out, but eventually I got all the parts together.

So, to summarize:

Read the install directions. They work.

If you are installing on another host, set that host’s IP address with an option when you start the process: --interface=

And look at port 9991 on that host for the web interface.